Friday, November 27, 2009

Leads From Austria and Slovakia

Little packages from far away, faithfully delivered by Her Majesties postal service, are one life’s simple pleasures. This blog has put me in touch in with new friends in far away places and it’s always great to receive a little surprise package from one of them. The other day my first ever parcel from Hungary arrived. Nick from Hungary had done a little pencil shopping on one of his jaunts to Vienna, Austria with a stop-off in Bratislava, Slovakia.

Some new mechanical pencil lead refills to add to the collection.

Aristo, an Austrian manufacturer and distributor of drafting supplies. Apparently the company roots are German, and in 1976 the company was acquired by Rotring, but then the Austrian subsidiary developed relative independence and more recently local management staged a buyout leading to full separation from Rotring.

Lyra, from Germany, now part of the Italian FILA group.

Lastly from the Czech Republic, Koh-I-Noor.

Ahhhh…the Czech Republic, the birthplace of pilsner. At the same time as Nicks package arrived, the travel section of my weekly magazine was extolling the virtues of ‘Beer Wellness Land’ in the Czech Republic. A brewery and spa, where you soak in warm foamy hoppy goodness! Now that would be a good days outing – KIN factory tour in the morning, then an hour or so in the car and a relaxing spa in the afternoon!



6 comments:

B2-kun said...

Cool little lead packages!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

THIS is(was) the real Aristo, before scientific calcultors destroyed the market.
This mechanical piece of precision was expensive und perfect.
I made my A-level with it.

http://www3.pic-upload.de/27.11.09/gkfdsx6tqpk.jpg

-Arne
:)

Kiwi-d said...

Hi Arne
Thanks for the comment.
I know what those things are! As I recall, my year was the last year of high school students not allowed to use calculators in national exams, so we used those.

John said...

I like the artwork in your blog. I followed the link from the pen addict to find your blog. Now I know where to go for pencil information. I never use the old wooden pencils I like mechanical pencils much more.

On my blog I post about different subjects, sometimes about my experiences with handwriting.
Just for fun the other day I searched the web for different types of pens. I found an interesting site which sells very unusual pens. I would never buy a pen like the ones they offer and I don't know of anyone who would but it's still fun to watch.

Turn up your volume and check it out:
http://kronepen.com/histin.html


My weblog address:
http://johns-spot112948.blogspot.com/"


Thanks

Anonymous said...

Well, few days ago I've seen the new article with the leads on your web site. Looks great!! I like both, the map and the bathing Czech girls background.
However, my girlfriend is now questioning the real reason behind my cost-saving detours to Bratislava since she looked into the article with the "beer-spa-girls". I was told to buy Faber-Castell leads in Vienna, give up Koh-I Noor and to buy the straight non-stop ticket to Vienna:)) Just kidding.

Nick

Kiwi-d said...

Ahhh, Nick, the path of the pencil can be challenging and can land you in hot water (or warm beer) if you aren't careful. Thanks for the lead.