Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Old Wooden Triangles

Somehow I seem to end up with way more than fair share of wooden pencils. I collect MPs but I end up with all these WPs too.

For some reason I have always thought triangular wooden pencils were a reasonably recent development, perhaps because I don’t recall them from my childhood. However, as the WPs slowly accumulate in my house it is apparent to me that triangular pencils are nothing new.

Here’s a a batch of recent arrivals. They are quite thin compared to ‘normal’ pencils, about 6.1mm (1/4 inch) along each side, and somewhat shorter than usual as well. I guess it helped keep the price down. Photo: 4 old triangles with modern hexagonal Forest Choice and Staedtler for size comparison.
I don’t think this shop is in business anymore. Hmmmm, a refreshing ale whilst you bought your steaks. Clearly the owner made his fortune and retired to lead the good life.

Manufacturer unknown, but “Made in England” is printed on them.

3 comments:

Germ said...

i kinda like these triangle types. were pretty rare when i was using wood pencils way back in the day. late 70's.

Time Waster said...

Triangle pencils are also popular as Carpenter pencils but nothing beats the original flat design.

I suppose a triangle pencil could roll off the roof if it wanted too.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am assuming that from a certain angle of inclination on everything will roll of ;-)