Saturday, September 12, 2009

Labels and Maps

Yesterday was a red letter day for me. For the first time ever I paid money for a service associated with this blog. It never ceases to amaze me how Blogger, Wordpress and others offer all these free blogs, widgets, gadgets, etc etc etc and I'm very grateful for that. Maps are another thing that I find very interesting so yesterday I could resist temptation no longer and paid for an upgrade on my ClustrMap. You can click on the sidebar map to go to the enlarged world map just like before, but now you can click on the world map to zoom in to continent level data.

A question for you. I have never really been a big fan of article labels or tags, so haven't ever created many labels for this blog. I tend to think that search facilities like Lijit basically make labels redundant. However, I'm starting to re-evaluate that theory, so feel free to tell me if you think more labels would be good, or not. I've put a poll in the sidebar if you feel like answering with an easy click.

7 comments:

B2-kun said...

I kind of like them for I think labels are a convenient navigation tool that can enhance the ease of use for blog readers when searching for further info on specific items.

Julia said...

I think it might be nice to have labels for the different brands, maybe the different lead sizes, things like that. Then again, I've never used the Lijit Search widget, so I probably should give it a try before I start spouting off.

But, for example, if I were to search for, say, Pentel, would it return only posts about Pentel pencils, or every post in which you mentioned Pentel? I'd much rather have the former than the latter, if you see what I mean.

Kiwi-d said...

Hi B2-kun and Julia. Yes, a search on Lijit would return all posts mentioning Pentel, including posts on other items where someone comments "My Pentel is better". So now this post will search under Pentel :-)
Its things like this that are making me question my use of labels.

Henrik said...

I agree with the posts above, labels are more convenient when your're not looking for something specific. Besides I'm lazy, so I prefer you to do the labelling instead of me doing a search :-)
regards
Henrik

Slywy said...

I love labels. I have a Lijit widget, but I've never quite figured out how to use it or what its purpose is.

Max said...

Well I'm happy the way it is. As long as I can find the pencils - and there aren't THAT many mechanical pencils out there. At least not pencils worth mentioning....
Just pointing out that I really appreciate what's already here and the work you're putting in it!

Cheers,

Max

Kiwi-d said...

Well the poll has closed, with 50 votes.
23 (46%) said Yes to more labels, 17 (34%) said Don't Care and 10 (20%) said No.
So, I will start to use some more labels, but I won't be going overboard with them.
What would be really useful is if there was a way to bring up articles by combinations of label. So, for example, you could select the label Pentel, the label Draughting Pencils and the label Retractable Sleeve so that it then brought up only those articles that had all three labels.