Sunday, February 07, 2010

Saved

Of course some people do enjoy going shopping, but others regard being dragged along for a morning shopping at the mall as akin to…well some sort of torture, and would prefer to...I don't know, maybe volunteer down at the local zoo mucking out the hippopotamus chamber…but today I was saved, for there at the mall, in the window of one of the stores that had an outside entrance was THE SIGN. “Stationery Outlet – Closing Down – All Stock Must Go”. I was freed from my shackles.

Actually there wasn’t much of interest in there, but I was free…and the art supplies store across the road beckoned. I was probably a bit euphoric and I saw some mechanical pencils by Pantone. Never seen those before. Part of the Pantone Universe range of office supplies. Cash leaked from my pockets.

The Pantone mechanical pencils in the store were in a variety of single colours, and in bright combination colours. I bought one where the colours are thin strips down the length of the metal body producing a shimmering rainbow of colour effect.

Pantone Universe mechanical pencil
 Very pretty.

mechanical pencil body colours
To be honest, whilst the colour scheme is dazzling, and the Pantone name commands a price premium, the pencil is rather ordinary.

No eraser.
Pantone mechanical pencil top button
There were two models of mechanical pencil for sale – fixed drafting style sleeve and retractable writing style sleeve. From looking at the stickers on the pencils, I think 4443 is the model number for my fixed sleeve style mechanical pencil.

Pantone mechancial pencil tip

Pantone mechanical pencil ID label

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you knew that Pantone products are made by Pentel? Check the KK site if you don't believe me. -technopencil

Anonymous said...

Whoops, UK site.

Kiwi-d said...

Whats the KK site address?
Well I knew Pantone didn't make their own, but I haven't done any research so didn't know they were made by Pentel.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave
I send you a new e-mail
I add a drawing in it!
is mechanical pencil made
Thanks for your help

Pablo OyarzĂșn

Anonymous said...

It is www.pentel.co.uk. Go to products. -technopencil

Kiwi-d said...

Now I'm getting confused.
What is the relationeship between "the KK site address" and pentel.co.uk?
Is technopencil the name of the pencil or just your online name? I can't see anything relevant on the Pentel site? Maybe I'm just blind.

Anonymous said...

Eheh I can relate to this sort of spiraling misunderstanding. Check comment no 2 in relation to comment 1 Kiwi-d! :D
ie uk (pentel) site

pe

Kiwi-d said...

Hi pe
Yes, fair enough. I still don't see any relation between my Pantone pencil and the Pentel UK website, so hopefully Anonymous will come back and point out where I'm going wrong.

Anonymous said...

It has been there before, i am sure, but now I can't find it! -technopencil (my online name)

Kiwi-d said...

Hi technopencil - well I'm glad we've cleared things up, and I'm not blind this time around. Stuff comes and goes from websites, only hardcopy catalogues are forever :-)